Thursday, May 29, 2008

AUTObiography: Meatstick62's 2007 VW GTI

ext up is VWvortex reader: Meatstick62
How long have you owned this car?Just about one year.Is there anything unique about the history of this car? Nothing in particular, besides that it’s my first VW and certainly won’t be my last.Why did you choose this car to purchase? I saw a comparison between the MKV GTI and the Civic Si in a magazine. I was in the market for a new car and as soon as I saw the picture of that Tornado Red GTI, I knew that it was the one. What other cars did you consider? Mazdaspeed3, Acura RSX.What was your objective with this car? To build a car that was trackable and looked good on the street. What tuning style best describes this car (ex. Euro, Bling, OEMplus, street racer, auto crosser)?A bit of street racer and auto crosser since I kept it able to look and do both.
Who helped you build this car? My dad, brothers, friends, and local shops. What makes your car special? It was just a dream to have a car that looked and performed like this. I would read car magazines and imagine what it would be like to drive something that wasn’t a rusted out S10. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.What is your favorite part/feature/function? I love the DSG. It is, hands down, the best feature on the MKV. It was the main selling point for me. I still make an effort to find as many tunnels as I can and just tap away on those paddles. Who or what inspired the direction of modifications on this car? Seeing cars at shows like Waterfest and at track days gave me a lot of inspiration. Talking to VW drivers and enthusiasts about what they have done or would do to their cars was also a big factor.What don't you like about this car? The fact that I couldn’t get the Interlagos plaid Recaro seats that GTI buyers in Europe can get. What was your biggest obstacle in building this car? Trying to build a car while graduating from high school, applying to college, and working. How did you overcome the issue? Very good time management.
What would you change if you could? If I could, I would lighten the car a bit. Maybe put in some Recaro seats. On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the outcome of this project? 9.5.What would you do to the car if money were no object? Bigger turbo, water/methanol injection, carbon fiber body panels, wider fenders to fit in bigger rubber.Who has been your biggest critic of this project? My parents have always been a bit wary of the time and money I’ve put in the car, but they’ve still been supportive.What do your family and friends say about this car? Like me, they think it came out well. Even though I go to college in Florida, my friends back home like it when I update them on any new additions.What is your most memorable/humorous/embarrassing moment with this car? Every track day has been memorable. Each time I take it out to the track, I think, “Man, am I glad I bought this car.”Has this car competed in any events? Results? I’ve never used it in timed racing, but it sure does hold its own and then some.What is your favorite place to drive this car? The favorite place I’ve driven it was the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point Motorsports Park in WV.What is your ideal day with this car? A nice sunny day at the track and a fresh set of tires.
Who gets to drive this car? Mainly me, and whoever offers to help me wash and wax it or put some gas in it. If your car had a motto, what would it be? “Slower traffic keep right.”What was your previous project? I didn’t have one.What is your next project? I’ve always wanted to build a slammed MKI with poked wheels, stretched tires, and matte paint. Low and slow.What one word best describes your car? Clean. Owner Information: Name: Greg PattmanVWvortex username: Meatstick62Occupation: Student, aerospace engineeringClub affiliations: GolfMKV, CFLMKV, ERAU ECCVehicle Information: Year: 2007Make: VWModel: GTIMileage: 9000Original Color: Tornado RedCurrent Color: Tornado RedEngine: 2.0TEngine Modifications: Neuspeed P-Flo, Forge DV, APR Stage 2Exhaust Modifications: GHL 3” turbo-back exhaustTransmission Modifications: stockSuspension Modifications: Bilstein PSS9sBrake Modifications: Carbotech xp10 pads, stainless steel lines Wheels and Tires: 18” BBS CH, Bridgestone Potenza Pole PositionsExterior/Body Modifications: Reiger RS4 side skirts, Reiger rear, ABT front lipInterior Modifications: AWE boost gaugeAudio/Video/I.C.E.: StockThanks/Props: I’d just like to thank my family and friends for their help. Also the guys at North American Motorsports, DTM Autohaus, Boulevard Body and Fender, and H.R. Muzzio’s suspension shop.


www.BestPriceCarParts.com - Your best stop for auto parts
www.MarksBugBarn.com - For all your vintage VW needs

No comments: